![]() |
| At our overlook on the Crescenta View Trail |
Every Bandana Tells a Story
It’s
true that every bandana tells a story. Some more than others, even if it is
simply, “I didn’t have that color”, or “I forgot to grab one on the way out.”
I’ve
worn bandanas as sweat bands since the 60s while working in the yard, back backing/hiking,
swimming, and kayaking/rafting in rivers and on lakes. Since I got well into
losing my hair, I had to go to the doo-rag style of tying them to keep from burning my scalp.
There
have been periods of time when I’ve used hats and caps of various designs to
keep from burning. I have used bandanas in concert with hard hats on job sites
to keep my neck less than scarlet. (see photo below) They have helped me in sandstorms,
smokey environs, and while combating wasps. See photos below.
![]() |
| off to fight wasps after they attacked Jeremiah |
![]() |
| at the Shenandoah Peak passive repeater retirement project |
I
do love a good bandana.
![]() |
| Rafting the Rogue. Me at Glice geared up |
![]() |
| Mom's gift of a bright bandana |
One year while we strolled along, we came across a booth with tie-dyed clothing. I commented on a particular bandana and then we moved along. We hadn’t quite completed our loop when that bandana was dropped into my bag. Mom.
This past Saturday, August 29, 2026, I roused myself enough to hike up the Crescenta View Trail out the Deukmejian Wilderness Park with guys from my church, some ex-pats from same, and friends of theirs from various walks of life. On a whim, I donned my brightly colored bandana and took Mom with me.
Thoughts
of her floated in and out of my mind and over and around our beloved trail conversations.
I loved every minute. Mom was always my biggest fan and would love this post.
She might be the last true fan of my writing. God, how I miss her.
![]() |
| Mom and me at Rainnie Falls. A bandana is there, trust me. |
It is rarely with a sad heart that I remember my mom these days, and even if so, always with fondness. She lived life well and, I am certain that she heard the words, “Welcome. Well done, good and faithful servant.” I also am quite certain that if there weren’t hiking trails in heaven when she arrived, she quickly forged new ones.
Whatever
you treasure for the memories, embrace them. Then call your mom.
In
His grip,
Jerry
White
Author's note to self: Make sure colors are set in any given bandana before any sweaty use:
![]() |
| Post Crescenta View Trail Hike |
![]() |
| Family photo at my 70th bday celebration. |
![]() |
| The photo I use for my author's page |
![]() |
| on a hike with Ollie Verdoodle |
![]() |
| Crazy about Victory motorcycle |
Some rafting or boating pics:
![]() |
| Teya and me at Bass Lake |
![]() |
| Teya and me kayaking. She did most of the work |
My Bandana Collection:
![]() |
| Motorcycle and ride bandanas |
![]() |
| location bandanas including a star constellation map making me think of Tim |
![]() |
| a prized bandana signed by the family at my 70th at Big Bear |

















No comments:
Post a Comment